Application FAQs

Please begin by reading the "How to Apply" page accessed from the drop down list to the left. If you have questions while following the procedures listed there, return to this page for clarification.

Where do I send my application materials?

All application materials must be uploaded to the online electronic application.

How can I check on my application status to find out if all my application materials were received?

You may log back into your online electronic application using the same username and password to check your materials.

How do I sign up for the GRE?

To learn more about the GRE and where the test is being offered, please visit the GRE website.

What is the GRE department code for the Gevirtz Graduate School of Education?

A department code is not required. Please instruct the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to report your scores to UCSB; our institution code is 4835.

Is there a minimum GRE score required?

No, the Gevirtz Graduate School of Education does not require a minimum GRE score.

How long will ETS keep my GRE score?

Current GRE Board policy states that your scores are reportable for 5 years. Your scores are retained for the 5 testing years following the testing year in which you tested.

What if I am an International Applicant?

The UCSB Office of International Students & Scholars provides useful Information about the cost of attending UCSB, getting visas, housing, financing your education in the US, etc. Please also note that International Students are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS test when applying to graduate school at UCSB.

When will admission decisions be made?

Generally, admission decisions will begin in December with the majority of application decisions made by the end of January. However, this depends on when you applied and to which Research Focus Area you applied. Typically, applicants may expect an admissions decision within six weeks of our faculty receiving their completed application for review. International applications will take longer. Applications are sent to faculty for admission consideration only when they are complete. It is to your benefit to complete your application as soon as possible.

If I want to reapply to the Gevirtz Graduate School of Education, what do I need to do?

Send an e-mail notifying us that you are considering reapplying ( We will help you through the steps.

I was admitted to the Gevirtz Graduate School of Education but am unable to attend. Can I defer my admission?

No, Graduate Division does not allow deferments. If you are admitted but are unable to attend your admission quarter, you must reapply for admission. Readmission is not guaranteed.

I was admitted to the GGSE. How do I notify the GGSE that I wish to attend/not attend?

In order to officially inform the GGSE that you wish to attend or not attend UCSB, you need to complete the Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) online. The SIR can be accessed through your online application. Please login to your electronic application and look for the SIR. Once completed, the GGSE will be able to view your decision to attend or not attend UCSB. This step is particularly crucial for any student who has received financial support. For more information, please consult your admit letter.

Is there a GPA requirement for admission?

An undergraduate GPA of 3.0 is required to be considered for admission. For a lower undergraduate GPA, an exception from UCSB's Graduate Division is needed.