Compassion Centers to Open August 14 and 15;
Free Counseling available to Community Members Impacted by August 11 Killings
(Santa Barbara, August 13, 2014) – In the aftermath of four killings near Santa Barbara on August 11th, free counseling will be available for community members at compassion centers on Thursday, August 14 and Friday, August 15 at La Colina Junior High School and Foothill Elementary School.
Sponsored by the Santa Barbara County Department of Alcohol, Drug and Mental Health Services (ADMHS), the Santa Barbara Response Network, (SBRN) La Colina Junior High School and Foothill Elementary School, the compassion centers will be available Thursday and Friday during the following hours:
La Colina Junior High School Library, 4025 Foothill Road, Santa Barbara, 10 am – 12 noon; 1 pm – 3 pm; 5 pm – 7 pm.
Foothill Elementary School Library, 711 Ribera Drive, Santa Barbara, 10 am – 12 noon; 1 pm – 3 pm; 5 pm – 7 pm.
“This is an important time for us to come together and share our feelings,” notes Suzanne Grimmesey, MFT, ADMHS Public Information Officer. “We invite friends, family members, students, neighbors, teachers and other community members affected by the tragedy to participate.”
For more information, please contact Suzanne Grimmesey, MFT, 681-5289 or 886-5403.
An excellent brief guide prepared by the National Child Traumatic Stress Network, “Talking with Children About Mass Violence.” at:http://www.nctsn.org/sites/default/files/assets/pdfs/talking_to_children_about_mass_violence.pdf
General Trauma Resources:
- Understanding Grief/sites/default/files/hosford_clinic/docs/UnderstandingGrief.pdf
- Stratagies for Managing Grief /sites/default/files/hosford_clinic/docs/Strategies4ManagingGrief.pdf
Parents and Teachers:
- Principal's Research Review, Nov 2013, Role of Schools in Supporting Traumatized Students/sites/default/files/hosford_clinic/docs/prr_nov13_trauma_sensitive_schools.pdf
- Identifying Severly Traumatized Children: Tips for Parents and Educators/sites/default/files/hosford_clinic/docs/Identifying_Seriously_Traumatized_Children_2011.pdf
- Talking to Children About Violence: Tips for Parents and Teachers/sites/default/files/hosford_clinic/docs/talkingviolence.pdf