Becoming a Visiting Scholar

Finding a Faculty Sponsor

All visiting scholars need to have a faculty sponsor who will serve as a point of contact with the department. Please look at the faculty webpages to find a possible sponsor who shares your research and study interests. The department chair or staff cannot assist with help in finding a sponsor.

Funding a Visit

The Gevirtz School does not provide funding, housing, nor paid teaching positions for visiting scholars. Visitors must have their own funding established when applying for their J-1 Visa.

For information on funding and other requirements needed to visit as a scholar, please refer to the Office of International Students & Scholars (OISS) webpage.

The OISS assists visitors in all matters related to Visas while at UCSB. They offer a range of programs designed to make the life of international scholars and their family members at UCSB and in the Santa Barbara community academically productive and culturally enriching.


UCSB and the Gevirtz Graduate School of Education (GGSE) does not provide housing for visiting scholars. Obtaining affordable housing in the Santa Barbara/Goleta area can be challenging. It is highly advisable to have your housing arrangements in place before your arrival. Visitors can refer to the OISS webpage "Housing" link for current information. 

The UCSB Community Housing Office maintains an on-line listing of community rentals. The Department of Education can provide access to this for their prospective visiting scholars.

Conference Services at UCSB rents cottages on campus to visiting scholars for periods of one week or longer.

Plan Ahead

If you decide to come as a visiting scholar and have obtained a faculty sponsor, please allow a minimum of three months prior to your arrival to complete the paperwork necessary for your visit.

Visa processes cannot begin with OISS more than six months in advance of your arrival date.

No Express Mail service is available to expedite paperwork. DS-2019 paperwork to addresses outside of the U.S. will take five to six weeks to be received.

For Questions Contact:

Nina Forte, Dept. of Education

Keriann Long, Dept. of Counseling, Clinical, and School Psychology