If you've agreed to be a faculty sponsor for a visiting scholar, contact your Program Assistant:
The Program Assistants will act as a liaison and assist the visitor with their J-1 VISA process. Send them the visitor's name and email along with a copy of your "Letter of Invitation" for them. An optional sample of this letter is available, but your letter must detail the following:
- The exact arrival and departure dates (cannot exceed 12 months).
- No departmental funding or employment will be provided.
- It is the visitor's responsibility to secure their own housing.
- They will have use of the Library, technology access, and can attend GGSE courses with Instructor approval (for no credit).
- Visitors will have shared office space.
General Information for Faculty Sponsors
The OISS and the VISA process
- OISS requires a minimum of 3 months in advance of the arrival date to prepare DS-2019 paperwork.
- When planning a visit foreign visitors should review the UCSB Office of International Students & Scholars (OISS) website first for current information about funding and the mandatory health insurance requirements.
- If arrival/departure dates change, notify the Program Assistants. OISS allows J-1 visitors dates to fluctuate within 30 days before or after, no more.
- OISS does not provide express mail service for documents.
- Departments send all DS-2019 packets received from OISS standard foreign delivery. These cannot be tracked. Packets mailed out of the U.S. will take approximately 5-6 weeks to be received.
- Departments do not provide any funding, housing, supplies, copying, nor express mail services for visiting scholars.
- Housing needs: Sponsors may assist or refer the visitor to the OISS website "Housing" link for information.
- No "official" certificate of attendance is provided to scholars.
- UCSB NetID: Upon arrival and completion of campus paperwork a technology account is available within 4-7 days.
- The UC “Patent/Oath” form is mandatory: All visitors are required to sign this upon arrival to the department.
- Amenities: Lockers or an "Access Card" for Ed building access are optional and available for a fee.
- Mail: No mailboxes are assigned for visiting scholars. Visitors should have personal mail sent to their own address.