Q. How do I know whether my child would benefit from the services of the McEnroe Reading and Language Arts Clinic?
• The Clinic focuses on providing assessments and tutorial interventions for students in the first through sixth grade who are not benefitting sufficiently from instruction provided by their elementary schools.
• Students may have been already identified as having a learning disability or may not have been identified but are perceived to be at risk for unacceptably poor achievement by their families.
Q. How do I make an appointment?
• You may apply using the forms available online OR you may call 805-893-7905 to discuss your child’s situation and to make an appointment for an assessment.
Q. Where is the Clinic located?
• The Clinic is located in Room 2204 of the Gevirtz Graduate School of Education’s building on the UCSB campus at the intersection of Ocean and El Colegio Rds.
Q. What happens during an assessment?
• Your child will be evaluated to determine his or her specific reading needs.
• Assessments will take 60-90 minutes and include a comprehensive reading and language development inventory.
Q. Who provides the tutoring and how often does it take place?
• Supervised graduate students in the Gevirtz Graduate School of Education provide the tutoring.
• Students are tutored for 45 minutes two - four times a week during the school year for periods of 10 weeks with appointment times corresponding to the end of the school day.
Q. How will my child's progress be measured, communicated?
• Each student will receive feedback at the end of each tutoring session and his/her progress will be communicated to parents on a weekly basis.
• A formal post assessment and report of a student’s specific gains will be provided at the end of the tutoring period, including recommendations for further support, if necessary.
Q. What are the costs of screening and tutoring at the McEnroe Reading and Language Arts Clinic?
• The cost of initial one-time screening is $200; a sliding scale is available based on family income level.
• The cost of tutoring is $35 per session (includes on-going assessment and final report).