The Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT) Clinic provides state-of-the-art for young children and their families. PCIT is an evidence-based treatment backed by over 30 years of research for children ages 2 to 7 who have challenging behaviors. PCIT teaches parents and other caregivers how to enhance their relationship with their child, increase positive behaviors in children, and reduce problem behaviors in home, school, and public places. PCIT therapists work with the caregiver and child together to improve child behavior and reducing parenting stress.
In particular, PCIT is most effective for families with children who may
- Be strong willed
- Refuse/defy adult directions or commands
- Be easily frustrated or lose their temper easily
- Engage in attention seeking behaviors
- Be physically or verbally aggressive towards others
- Have difficulty staying seated, playing quietly, or taking turns
PCIT addresses these concerns by
- Teaching parents strategies to promote positive behaviors and improve the quality of the parent-child relationship
- Providing in the moment coaching of parent-child interactions
- Teaching techniques to manage and reduce problem child behaviors
PCIT is available for a sliding scale fee. For additional information or to make an appointment, please call 805-893-8064.