Contracts & Grants Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I contact with questions regarding Contracts & Grants?

Please contact your assigned Contracts & Grants Analyst

What is the function of the Contracts & Grants Office? How does it differ from the UCSB Office of Research?

The Contracts & Grants Office is a unit within the Gevirtz Graduate School of Education. The Contracts & Grants Office supports the faculty, researchers and students in all Gevirtz Graduate School of Education programs and departments in the following areas: research development, human subjects, proposal preparation, and contracts & grants administration.

The UCSB Office of Research (OR) helps members of the university community secure support for their research and creative activities. OR works with all of the academic units on campus to develop the best research programs possible and is charged with ensuring the integrity of UCSB research and providing assurance to governmental and private funding agencies and to the public that the research is conducted in accordance with the highest ethical standards.

What is the Research Development Office?

The UCSB Research Development Office, a unit within the Office of Research, works to make sure that faculty have available all the tools for success – from funding source information, proposal review, and writing workshops – to mock panel reviews and site visit preparation for strategic Campus initiatives. They provide agency- and foundation- specific information that can greatly simplify matching faculty research goals to the most receptive funding source, as well as helping formulate a proposal that speaks to that particular review process.

They are available on-call, when needed, to provide our best advice and resource materials, including sample proposals and funding databases.

GGSE's Research Development contact - Brandon Fastman

How do I find funding for my research project?

Numerous resources are available at the following Office of Research link (

In addition the Contracts & Grants Office circulates notices of funding opportunities via our listserv. You can also view our Funding Opportunities page for additional listservs and other sources.

What are the ways that the Contracts & Grants office can assist in finding funding opportunities?

The C&G office will send out funding announcements that may be of interest to the GGSE faculty, send out the Office of Research newsletter, and can assist in using COS Pivot. COS Pivot allows users to search thousands of funding opportunities by keywords, dates, award type, etc. Create an account and you can save searches to run as often as you like to find new opportunities meeting your search criteria.

What is COS Pivot?

COS Pivot is an online database of over 400,000 individual funding opportunities and 3 million researcher profiles in the social sciences, humanities, fine arts, sciences, and engineering. Subscribers can choose to receive a weekly e-mail with a customized list of funding opportunities based on previously specified criteria.

To access Pivot, you must register using your UCSB email address.


How do I know whether or not I need to get Human Subjects approval for my research project?

Review and approval by the HSC (Human Subjects Committee) is required before starting research involving human subjects.
Any UCSB faculty, staff or student doing research that involves Human Subjects must have either Human Subjects approval, or an exemption, for the research results to be published in any form including theses and dissertations. This includes pilot studies (even if it involves just one subject), funded or unfunded research, and research on yourself, your staff, your students, or your friends. "Human Subject" means a living individual about whom an investigator (whether professional or student) conducting research obtains: (a) data through intervention or interaction with the individual or (b) identifiable private information. For more information, visit

How do I get Human Subjects approval for my research project?

Requests to use human subjects in your research are made using a web-based application module (Office of Research Application for the use of Human Subjects; ORahs). Tutorials about how to use the system are available

When the investigator or faculty advisor clicks on “Submit to HSC”, another box on a separate page will appear indicating that the investigator or faculty advisor will agree to the terms.  Clicking on the “Submit to HSC” button will serve as the electronic signature for the protocol application in lieu of submitting the hard copy Signature Page to the HSC. 

Protocols will not be approved until all investigators have completed the HS training module. See for further information.

What are the deadlines for submitting Human Subjects protocols?

See the list of deadlines at  Once you submit your protocol online, you will be notified via email regarding your protocol's scheduled review date.

I submitted a Human Subjects protocol. How will I know if it has been approved?

Once you submit your protocol online, you will receive email notifications updating you on the status of your protocol. If corrections are necessary, your protocol will be placed into your Corrections queue within the ORahs system to edit and resubmit.

Once your protocol has been reviewed and approved, you will received an email of the approval. You can access the approved consent forms and approval in the ORahs system. At any time, you can log into the ORahs system to check on the status of your protocol.

Who will assist me during proposal stage?

Your first point of contact is your assigned Contract & Grants Analyst. However, depending on workload, your proposal may be assigned to another Analyst. 

Letter of Intent Or Pre-proposal - How do I submit?

There are times when a sponsor or specific solicitation may request or require a pre-proposal, white paper or letter of intent (LOI). The specific requirements are usually outlined in the proposal guidelines.

*A pre-proposal may be used by the sponsor to determine who will be invited to submit a full proposal or may be used to provide feedback to the PI for the purposes of refining the project for the full proposal submission.

A pre-proposal will typically require a brief summary of the project and information about the PI and research team. Occasionally additional items are required.

If any one or more of the following are required or included in the pre-proposal, the pre-proposal must be routed through campus for review.

  • A detailed budget
  • Costshare commitments
  • Institutional endorsement (including submission through electronic systems)
I want to submit a research proposal. Where do I start?

Please remember to complete the Sponsored Project Online Opportunity Form (SPOOF) at least 30 days prior to the proposal submission due date. Completion of this form is required to initiate the C&G proposal support process.

If you have doubts as to whether your project should be run through the C &G office, run it by your assigned Contracts & Grants Analyst as early as possible.

Who can serve as a PI on a research award application?

Ladder faculty and professional researchers employed by UCSB with at least a 50% appointment are automatically eligible to serve as a PI on an award.

Here is a chart that can clarify more specific situations

*If you do not meet these criteria, please contact your Contracts & Grants Analyst to inquire about a possible exception to serve as a PI or Co-PI.

When do I need to submit a final version of my proposal to the Contracts and Grants Office?

Once we are aware that you will be submitting a proposal, we provide you with a timeline specific to your proposal. The UCSB Office of Research (OR) requires that we, as the administering department, submit a complete packet of the proposal to them a minimum of seven (7) full business days prior to the sponsor’s deadline, at which point a draft of all proposal documents should be included. The budget and budget justification should be in final form. For more details, see the Contracts & Grants Proposal Preparation page.

Who will assist me during award stage?

Your first point of contact is your assigned Contract & Grants Analyst

I received a notice from the sponsor to whom I had submitted a proposal that my project is being funded. What happens now and when can I begin accessing award funds?

If you receive an award notification directly from the sponsor, please notify your Contracts & Grants Analyst immediately so that we can begin working with the UCSB Office of Research (OR) to process the award.

Only OR can officially accept an award on behalf of the university; thus, they must work with the sponsor to review the terms and conditions of the award and accept it. Once the award has been accepted by OR, it will be sent to UCSB Extramural Funds Accounting so that an account-fund can be established. Once the account has been set up, the GGSE Contracts & Grants Office and the PI will be notified and the PI will have access to the funds. The entire process typically takes a few weeks, but may take longer if negotiations of the terms and conditions of the award are necessary.

*Please Note: You cannot have anyone work, or spend funds on the project until you have received notice that an account number has been established by UCSB. Individuals are not able to be paid for any work completed before they have been hired.*

How is the processing of a gift different from a contract or grant?

Whether you're in the conceptual stages, and/or in conversation with a potential donor, please reference the "Research Funded Through Gifts" document.

I have subawards/agreements as part of my research project. How/when/by whom are these initiated? How long will it take for them to be established?

After the account has been set up the PI should advise their Contracts & Grants Analyst that they are ready to set up subawards. This process typically takes a few weeks. If the subaward or agreement was not included in the proposal budget, re-budgeting may be necessary. Please contact your Contracts & Grants Analyst to discuss options.

I'm considering a No Cost Extension, where do I start?

Please reference the "Project Closure or Extension" worksheet. If you have additional questions, chat with your Contracts & Grants Analyst

*Make sure to give yourself plenty of time as some sponsors may require at least 60 days notice.

Expense Processing
What do I need to submit to be reimbursed? How long do I have to submit my receipts?

You will need to provide original receipts, and a completed and signed B2. Miscellaneous Expense Worksheet, including PI approval. You can find this form on the GGSE Resources page, under section B. Reimbursement Forms/Guides.

If you are submitting an entertainment expense (e.g. refreshments, snacks, and catering), provide the B4. Event Expense Worksheet. Include a list of participants (if applicable) and appropriate host signature and PI approvals.

It should be submitted within 2 weeks of event date. All other expenses should be submitted in a timely manner.

Where can I find the forms required to request a reimbursement?

All forms for reimbursement can be found on the GGSE Resources page.

Where do I submit my forms?

Reimbursement/Payment Request paperwork should now be dropped off in the “Reimbursement” mailbox in the 4th floor mail room. This will expedite processing.

Correspondence regarding reimbursement paperwork will now come from a new email address, (link sends e-mail). Timely response to any questions from this address will help speed up reimbursements.

Who do I contact about my sponsored projects purchasing needs? What is the process?

Contact your Contract & Grants Analyst with your request. Provide a quote for the purchase you are requesting.

Gateway and Flexcard are the preferred methods for the procurement and payment of most goods and services at UCSB. The reimbursement of UCSB  employees for purchases should be done on an exceptional basis only.  Avoid reimbursements and the liability you assume with the purchase; by sending your requests to your Contract & Grants Analyst.

How long do I have to request a reimbursement on travel expenses? What needs to be included?

You will need to provide original receipts, a signed A5. Domestic Travel worksheet or A6. Foreign Travel worksheet with PI approval to the "reimbursements" mailbox in the 4th floor mail room within 2 weeks of return date.

*The A7. Mileage Log may be used for recurring trips, and should be submitted on a monthly basis. Please complete the A7. Mileage Log if you are only requesting to be reimbursed for mileage alone.
* Select travel expenses can be reimbursed to the payee prior to the travel trip taking place (must be at least 30 days in advance of trip). Please reference A3. Travel Advance worksheet and consult your C&G Analyst if you have questions.

All documents listed above can be found on the GGSE Resources page under section A. Travel Forms/Guides.

I am making travel arrangements and need to book a hotel. What should I keep in mind before making reservations?
Effective October 15, 2017, Hotel rates are capped at $275 per night for trips within the lower 48 states, before taxes and other hotel fees. If you are in a higher cost city (like New York) and are unable to secure a room at or below $275, you must submit the A9. Lodging Limit Justification explaining why a rate under the cap could not be obtained and provide screen shots of price comparisons within the proximity of the meeting location.  The price comparison should be performed at the time of booking.
Lodging receipts should be itemized and include a breakdown of the nightly rate, taxes and fees.
*Package deals for lodging on discount travel sites such as Expedia and Orbitz do not provide the breakdown and are not allowable for reimbursement.
The A9. Lodging Limit Justification can be found on the GGSE Resources page under section A. Travel Forms/Guides.
I am traveling and would like to claim per diem. What are the restrictions and what is the per diem rate?

You may claim per diem in your travel reimbursement worksheet for international travel, not domestic. Per diem rates can be found on the GSA website, for Meals & Incidental Expenses (M&IE) and for Lodging (see bottom right corner of map for foreign rates).

*To claim the per diem rate on international travel, you do not need receipts.

Can I claim per diem for domestic travel?

You may not claim per diem for domestic travel per UC Policy. Meals and Incidental Expenses – Limit of $62 per day

Travelers may only be reimbursed for actual incurred expenses and must provide original itemized receipts.


What can I include in a travel advance request?

You may request an advance on any expenses that have been paid in full, such as registration and airfare, prior to the travel taking place. The Travel Advance Worksheet can be found on the GGSE Resources page.

How can I direct bill my account for travel?

Connexxus allows UC travelers to direct bill their account  for airfare, and make hotel, car reservation with automatic travel insurance, some price protections, negotiated benefits with certain corporate partners et al. 

Follow up with your Contracts & Grants Analyst for department authorization codes (DBANs). Send your analyst a completed A4. Request for Travel Approval worksheet found in section A. Travel Forms/Guides on GGSE Resources page.

How do I request a mileage reimbursement?

Mileage Logs can be found on the GGSE Resources page.

Mileage logs are due on a monthly basis for each project from which you are requesting reimbursement. PI approval is required on the form. Once completed, paperwork should be dropped off in the “Reimbursement” mailbox in the 4th floor mail room.

*Current Mileage rate is $0.58 per mile. (Effective 1/1/19)

What states does the Restricted Travel Law AB 1887 affect?

Restricted Travel Law AB 1887 prohibits state-funded travel to the states below:

  • Alabama
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Mississippi
  • North Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Oklahoma
  • South Carolina

*For further information visit the Business and Financial Services' Restricted Travel Law page


I'm a Non-U.S. Citizen, when do I need to complete the Declaration of Immigration status to process a reimbursement?

Only those students that are non US citizens seeking a travel reimbursement must provide the declaration and a copy of proof of immigration.

Where/who do I submit my reimbursement/request forms?

Reimbursement paperwork should now be dropped off in the “Reimbursement” mailbox in the 4th floor mail room. This will expedite processing. Submitted paperwork that is complete with all necessary backup documentation will be given priority processing.

Correspondence regarding reimbursement paperwork will now come from a new email address, Timely response to any questions from this address will help speed up reimbursements.

Please note:

What is requested on the event/travel/miscellaneous worksheet is what will be reimbursed. Please ensure all expenses that you are requesting be reimbursed are on the worksheet.

I want to hire a student, what do I do?

If you know the role the student will be hired in, proceed to fill out either an Employment Request form or a Modify Existing Employment Request form (both found under Employment area on GGSE Resources page).

You can also find GSR and Student Assistant Hiring Policies and Guidelines under the Employment area.


I want to hire a Post Doc or Research Scientist/Specialist, How do I know which one is right?

Reach out to your Contracts & Grants Analyst, and provide some background on what the position entails.