Frequently Asked Questions


What degrees and programs does the Department of Education offer?

The Department of Education in the Gevirtz Graduate School of Education offers an intellectually rich environment in which graduate students are encouraged to pursue a program of study tailored to their research interests.  All broad Program Areas are characterized by a high degree of collaboration and mentorship.  Through experience in graduate courses, research experiences, and teaching, students have multiple opportunities to acquire knowledge, dispositions, and skills to be first-rate scholars and teachers.  Both M.A. and Ph.D. degrees are available in our three Program Areas.

How many students are enrolled and how many do you accept each year?

There are approximately 150 students enrolled in the Department of Education.  Although there are variations year to year, the Department of Education typically admits 20 to 30 new students each year. 

How long will graduate school take to complete?

Most students take 8 to 12 units per quarter. The fees are the same no matter the number of units. It is not unusual for students to work part-time in addition to taking classes. The graduate education experience varies from student to student. Time to degree similarly varies based on the student's research project and type of degree sought. The M.A. degree generally takes 2 to 3 years. The Ph.D. degree has a broader range, as the goal is for students to make original contributions to the research literature. Ph.D. students typically finish in 5 to 6 years.

May I speak with a general advisor?

The information on our web pages is intended to serve as an advisory tool.  For more detailed questions regarding our various programs, prospective students should contact the Department of Education Program Assistants or Education Faculty.  Please see the following link for contact information:  Dept of ED Contact.  Applicants are encouraged to review the Faculty Bios for faculty who most closely align with their interests and could serve as their Advisor should they be admitted.



What is the deadline to apply?

There is one application deadline:  December 1st. Admission is for fall quarter of the following year only

Do I have to take the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) General Test?

The Gevirtz Graduate School of Education does not require a minimum GRE General Test score.  You application packet will be reviewed as a whole by our faculty.

Is there a minimum GRE General Test score requirement?

The Gevirtz Graduate School of Education does not require a minimum GRE General Test score.  You application packet will be reviewed as a whole by our faculty.  

Does the Department of Education accept conditional admits?

No, we do not accept conditional admits.

What does your graduate program look for when making admission decisions?

Generally, faculty in the Department of Education are interested in admitting students of the highest quality, with relevant experience, and with research interests that can be served by the graduate program.

Do you have informational meetings that prospective students can attend?

Not at this time, however, you are encouraged to periodically review our website for department recruitment event announcements.

How can I visit UCSB?

The Visitor's Center home page has information about campus tours, a virtual tour, a list of local hotels and motels, and dates for special events, such as Parents Weekend, Spring Insight, and Fall Preview.  If you would like to meet with one of the Department of Education Faculty members during your visit here, you can contact the faculty member directly via email for an appointment.  You may also contact the Program Office if you would like a tour of the Education building and/or have general questions.

Sounds great! How do I apply?

Please see our "How to Apply" page, particularly the Admissions Checklist.  Applicants may express an interest in any of our Research Focus Areas at any time.

For more information regarding admissions and the Gevirtz Graduate School of Education see Student Affairs Frequently Asked Questions.

Do you have an online degree option?

The Gevirtz Graduate School of Education does not offer any online degree programs.