If you've agreed to be a faculty sponsor for a visiting scholar, contact your Department Program Assistant:
- Education: Position currently vacant, please contact email@example.com
- CCSP: Maria Sanchez, firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Program Assistants will act as a liaison and assist the visitor with their J-1 VISA process. Send them the visitor's name and email along with a copy of your "Letter of Invitation" for them. Your letter must detail the following:
- The exact arrival and departure dates (cannot exceed 12 months).
- No departmental funding or employment will be provided.
- It is the visitor's responsibility to secure their own housing.
- May use the Library, have technology access, and can attend GGSE courses with Instructor approval (for no credit).
- Visitors will have shared office space.
General Information for Faculty Sponsors
The OISS and the VISA process
- OISS requires a MINIMUM OF 3 MONTHS prior to the arrival date to prepare DS-2019 paperwork. No exceptions!
- When planning a visit foreign visitors should review the UCSB Office of International Students & Scholars (OISS) website first for current information about funding and the mandatory health insurance requirements.
- Department of Education Faculty Sponsors must interview prospective J-1 visitors and provide signature approval of their "Certification of English Language Proficiency" before a DS-2019 will be issued. The signature form will be provided to Faculty Sponsors by the Program Assistant.
- If arrival/departure dates change, notify the Program Assistants. J-1 visitors may fluctuate within 30 days before or after, no more.
- There is no express mail service. Departments mail all DS-2019 packets standard foreign delivery and they cannot be tracked. Packets mailed out of the U.S. take approximately 5-6 weeks to be received. If a DS-2019 packet is lost and must be replaced, it is the visitor's responsibility to adjust their travel plans and obtain a revised "Letter of Invitation" from their sponsor if necessary.
- Departments do not provide any funding, housing, supplies, nor express mail services for visiting scholars.
- Housing needs: Sponsors may be asked to assist with this.
- No "official" certificate of attendance is provided to scholars.
- UCSB NetID: Upon arrival and completion of campus paperwork a technology account is available within 5-10 days.
- The UC “Patent/Oath” form is mandatory: All visitors are required to sign this upon arrival to the department.
- Amenities: Lockers or an "Access Card" for Ed building access are optional and available for a fee.
- No email account nor mailbox is provided for visiting scholars. Visitors should use their own email account and home address.