Our Fifth Grade Chemistry Outreach Program is a partnership between local elementary students and teachers and UCSB students and faculty. To improve educational opportunities for K-12 students, we have developed a program that brings fifth grade students to the chemistry lab at UCSB every Thursday morning to participate in hands-on standards-based physical science activities. The program is designed to nourish their natural curiosity in science and to stimulate an interest in pursuing a higher education in science. In addition, UCSB students are given the opportunity to share their love of science with elementary students and to consider a career path as a science educator.
- Enable students from diverse backgrounds to work with UCSB students who are also from diverse backgrounds
- Spark new interests in sciences and fuel current interests
- Show students the relevance of chemistry
- Engage students, parents and teachers in exciting hands-on activities
- Enable volunteers to share their enthusiasm for science with young students
- Inspire students to pursue a higher education in science
- Show elementary school students the excitement of working in a college setting