Earning a Minor: Helpful Hints

1. You must apply and be admitted to the minor before attempting to register for any CORE COURSES in GOLD. You must be in junior standing (or projected junior by the end of the current quarter) to register for any of the minor courses (unless you get permission from the instructor). 

2. If at all possible, please do not wait until your senior year to begin completing courses for the minor. Some of the courses develop long waiting lists and not all courses are offered every quarter. Please plan ahead.

3. To earn one of our three minors, you must complete a minimum of 20 to 26 units, depending on the minor. Please monitor the number of units for the minor courses you complete. You might need to take six or more courses to reach the minimum number of units required.

4. All minor courses are listed by default with a “departmental approval required to finalize registration” warning. Please ignore this and attempt to register without contacting the instructor for approval (unless you are not in junior standing). 

5. A small number of courses, such as ED 120, may be set as “approval code required” from the start. In this case you will need to contact the listed instructor directly for an approval code.

6. Focus on finishing Core Courses first.

7. The GGSE Student Affairs Office on the fourth floor lobby of the Education Building is open M-F, 8 am - 12 pm, and 1 pm - 5 pm. Please email: education-sao@ucsb.edu for any questions and/or advising.

8. Notify the Student Affairs Office (SAO) if you graduate early so that your minor can be awarded on time. Likewise, if you plan to delay the completion of or you choose to not finish the minor, notify the SAO so that your records can be updated.

9. Close to graduation, the Office of the Registrar may send you an email or message asking you to consult with the minor sponsoring department. This message usually refers to a degree check to make sure you are on track to finish. We advise students to visit the SAO for your degree check no later than the Pass 2 period of the final registration quarter before your degree/graduation candidacy is expected. Please note, Spring quarter is our busiest quarter, thus we advise to visit/contact us during Winter quarter if you expect/anticipate a Spring degree/graduation.