Policies and Procedures

Minor Policies
  • Our minors require a minimum of 20 to 26 upper division quarter units.
  • Students must receive a grade of C, P, or better in courses used towards our minors.
  • Students can take up to 5 units Pass/No Pass.
  • Students may apply up to 5 units of Independent Study (199 or 199RA) if applicable.
  • Only 5 units may overlap between a student’s major and minor, or between two minors.
  • As of July 2022, GGSE no longer allows students to double minor in Applied Psychology and Educational Studies.

Substitution Policy

Community college and other lower division courses may NOT be used as a substitution for any minor course. Six upper division quarter units can be transferred from another college or university besides UCSB if the units are approved by the course instructor and faculty advisor in the Gevirtz Graduate School of Education. Please be aware that UCSB Extension and UCEAP are considered outside institutions, and you may apply no more than six units from either program toward your minor.

Additional Information

It is the student’s responsibility to contact the GGSE Student Affairs Office by the Pass 2 of the final registration quarter before the degree/graduation is anticipated to certify fulfillment of degree requirements for the Office of the Registrar.

Students are encouraged to enroll in classes early as space is limited. There is a possibility that you will not be able to complete all courses due to popularity and space availability. 

Student Technology Fee

Initially, the Student Technology Fee (STF) will provide technological enhancements to school members. The STF will be assessed $2.50 per unit for the first 15 units of ED or CNCSP courses taken each quarter and will be charged automatically to students’ BARC accounts. The fee is officially assessed during the 3rd week of each quarter; thus, students who drop a course after the third week census will still incur the per-unit charge. 

The GGSE Student Affairs Office
Education 4100
For advising and/or questions please email: education-sao@ucsb.edu