2014-15 APPLICATION DEADLINE
Application Handbooks are available at our How to Apply page. The application deadline is February 15, 2014.
Students deserve the opportunity to thrive.
Exceptional teaching provides that opportunity.
We make exceptional teachers.
Teaching is by far one of the most rewarding and important professions of our time. Our world is changing, our students are changing, and there are too many students who are not receiving the education they need and deserve. If you are committed to making school a place where young people thrive and grow, where they feel nurtured and safe, where they realize their gifts and opportunities for their future—you must commit to excellence in teaching. This begins with a rigorous and well-established program for learning to teach.
The program at UC Santa Barbara is one of the highest quality programs in the nation, with state-of-the art practice grounded in partner schools, a focus on teaching to reach ALL learners, and teacher educators with established records of success.
How we do it:
- Select the best applicants, leaders committed to discovering and transforming children’s learning.
- Place teacher candidates in classrooms for the full academic year so they learn about practice in practice.
- Work in partner schools with a shared vision of excellence for students from diverse ethnic, linguistic, academic, and economic backgrounds.
- Offer a closely supervised and purposeful one-year teaching credential plus Master’s degree program.
- Locate, conduct, and draw upon research and evidence for best practice.
- Provide individualized mentoring from a team of cooperating teachers, supervisors, and course instructors.
- Engage teacher candidates in a carefully planned, developmental sequence of experiences that integrates university coursework and k-12 teaching.
- Challenge our candidates to surpass expectations—both for themselves and their students.
So why choose UCSB…
Few programs provide the kinds of experiences, individual attention, and close collaborations with schools that we have here. An entire academic year of well-supported teaching is rare in a program. It also means a full-time commitment. In the end, our graduates walk out of one of the most acclaimed programs in the country, and walk into their first year classrooms ready to teach. Our graduates are in high demand. If you want to be exceptional, love your work, and feel like you are making a difference, start here at UCSB. There has never been a more urgent need for excellent teachers.
Title II Pass Rates are included for UC Santa Barbara on page 57 and linked from this California government page: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/educator-prep/Title2.html