about the contracts & grants office

Please email CG.team@education.ucsb.edu with any questions or concerns. Please allow 24-48 hours for a response. You will receive an email from any of our Research Administrators or the Contracts and Grants Manager.

The Gevirtz Research Office is a unit within the Gevirtz Graduate School of Education. The Research office supports the faculty, researchers, and students in all Gevirtz Graduate School of Education programs and departments in the following areas: research development, human subjects, proposal preparation, and contracts & grants administration.

The UCSB Office of Research (OR) helps members of the university community secure support for their research and creative activities. OR works with all of the academic units on campus to develop the best research programs possible and is charged with ensuring the integrity of UCSB research and providing assurance to governmental and private funding agencies and to the public that the research is conducted in accordance with the highest ethical standards.

research development

The Strategic Research Initiatives (SRI), is a unit within the Office of Research, that works with faculty to effectively secure extramural funding, from early career fellowships to large center grants. Their support services include:

  • Helping faculty find relevant funding opportunities for their research.
  • Working directly with faculty to support effective proposal writing and development.
  • Coordinating and facilitating research teams in their pursuit of large interdisciplinary funding opportunities.
  • Providing proposal-related training and professional development for faculty and postdoctoral researchers.
  • Working with campus departments and offices to streamline the proposal submission process.

Numerous resources are available at the campus-wide Office of Research.

In addition the Gevirtz Research Office circulates notices of funding opportunities via our listserv. You can also view our Funding Opportunities page for additional listservs and other sources.

The Gevirtz Research Office will send out funding announcements that may be of interest to the GGSE faculty, send out the Office of Research newsletter, and can assist in using COS Pivot. COS Pivot allows users to search thousands of funding opportunities by keywords, dates, award type, etc. Create an account and you can save searches to run as often as you like to find new opportunities meeting your search criteria.

COS Pivot is an online database of over 400,000 individual funding opportunities and 3 million researcher profiles in the social sciences, humanities, fine arts, sciences, and engineering. Subscribers can choose to receive a weekly e-mail with a customized list of funding opportunities based on previously specified criteria.

To access Pivot, you must register using your UCSB email address.

human subjects

Review and approval by the HSC (Human Subjects Committee) is required before starting research involving human subjects.

Any UCSB faculty, staff or student doing research that involves Human Subjects must have either Human Subjects approval, or an exemption, for the research results to be published in any form including theses and dissertations. This includes pilot studies (even if it involves just one subject), funded or unfunded research, and research on yourself, your staff, your students, or your friends. "Human Subject" means a living individual about whom an investigator (whether professional or student) conducting research obtains: (a) data through intervention or interaction with the individual or (b) identifiable private information.

Please see our Human Subjects page for further information.

Requests to use human subjects in your research are made using a web-based application module (Office of Research Application for the use of Human Subjects; ORahs. Online tutorials are available.

When the investigator or faculty advisor clicks on “Submit to HSC,” another box on a separate page will appear indicating that the investigator or faculty advisor will agree to the terms.  Clicking on the “Submit to HSC” button will serve as the electronic signature for the protocol application in lieu of submitting the hard copy Signature Page to the HSC. 

Protocols will not be approved until all investigators have completed the HS training module. See http://hstraining.orda.ucsb.edu/faqs.htm for further information.

See the list of deadlines at https://orahs.research.ucsb.edu. Once you submit your protocol online, you will be notified via email regarding your protocol's scheduled review date.

Once you submit your protocol online, you will receive email notifications updating you on the status of your protocol. If corrections are necessary, your protocol will be placed into your Corrections queue within the ORahs system to edit and resubmit.

Once your protocol has been reviewed and approved, you will received an email of the approval. You can access the approved consent forms and approval in the ORahs system. At any time, you can log into the ORahs system to check on the status of your protocol.

proposal preparation

Once a (SPOOF) is submitted, your proposal will be assigned to any of our three Research Administrators or the Contracts and Grants Manager.

There are times when a sponsor or specific solicitation may request or require a pre-proposal, white paper or letter of intent (LOI). The specific requirements are usually outlined in the proposal guidelines.

*A pre-proposal may be used by the sponsor to determine who will be invited to submit a full proposal or may be used to provide feedback to the PI for the purposes of refining the project for the full proposal submission.

A pre-proposal will typically require a brief summary of the project and information about the PI and research team. Occasionally additional items are required.

If any one or more of the following are required or included in the pre-proposal, the pre-proposal must be routed through campus for review.

  • A detailed budget
  • Costshare commitments
  • Institutional endorsement (including submission through electronic systems)

Please remember to complete the Sponsored Project Online Opportunity Form (SPOOF) at least 30 days prior to the proposal submission due date. Completion of this form is required to initiate the proposal support process.

If you have doubts as to whether your project should be run through the Research Office, run it by a Research Administrator as early as possible.

Ladder faculty and professional researchers employed by UCSB with at least a 50% appointment are automatically eligible to serve as a PI on an award.

Here is a chart that can clarify more specific situations.

*If you do not meet these criteria, please contact a Research Administrator to inquire about a possible exception to serve as a PI or Co-PI.

Once we are aware that you will be submitting a proposal, we provide you with a timeline specific to your proposal. The UCSB Office of Research (OR) requires that we, as the administering department, submit a complete packet of the proposal to them a minimum of seven (7) full business days prior to the sponsor’s deadline, at which point a draft of all proposal documents should be included. The budget and budget justification should be in final form. For more details, please visit our Proposal Preparation page.

award administration

The Gevirtz Research Office receives notifications for all awards processed through UCSB's Office of Research and Business and Financial Services. A Research Administrator will follow up with the PI(s) once our office receives an award notification for their proposal.

For proposals that did not go through the Office of Research - Sponsored Projects, please notify CG.team@education.ucsb.edu immediately to ensure awards are processed in a timely manner. 

If you receive an award notification directly from the sponsor, please notify CG.team@education.ucsb.edu immediately so that we can begin working with the UCSB Office of Research (OR) to process the award.

Only OR can officially accept an award on behalf of the university; thus, they must work with the sponsor to review the terms and conditions of the award and accept it. Once the award has been accepted by OR, it will be sent to UCSB Extramural Funds Accounting so that an account-fund string can be established. Once the account has been set up, the Gevirtz Research Office and the PI will be notified and the PI will have access to the funds. The entire process typically takes a few weeks, but may take longer if negotiations of the terms and conditions of the award are necessary.

*Please Note: You cannot have anyone work, or spend funds on the project until you have received notice that an account number has been established by UCSB. Individuals are not able to be paid for any work completed before they have been hired.*

Whether you're in the conceptual stages, and/or in conversation with a potential donor, please reference the "Research Funded Through Gifts" document.

After the account has been set up, the PI should advise a Research Administrator that they are ready to set up subawards. This process typically takes a few weeks. If the subaward or agreement was not included in the proposal budget, re-budgeting may be necessary. Please contact a Research Administrator or Contracts & Grants Manager to discuss options.

Please reference the "Project Closure or Extension" worksheet. If you have additional questions, feel free to chat with any of the Research Administrators.

*Make sure to give yourself plenty of time as some sponsors may require at least 60 days notice.

expense processing

You will need to provide original receipts, and a completed and signed B1. Miscellaneous Expense Worksheet, including PI approval. You can find this form on the GGSE Resources page, under section B. Reimbursement Forms/Guides.

If you are submitting an entertainment expense (e.g. refreshments, snacks, and catering), provide the B3. Event Expense Worksheet. Include a list of participants (if applicable) and appropriate host signature and PI approvals.

It should be submitted within 2 weeks of event date. All other expenses should be submitted in a timely manner.

All forms for reimbursement can be found on the GGSE Resources page. If you have any questions about which forms you will need to submit, please contact reimbursements@education.ucsb.edu for assistance. 

Correspondence regarding reimbursement paperwork will now come from reimbursements@education.ucsb.edu. Timely responses to any questions from this address will help speed up reimbursements.

Contact education-purchasing@ucsb.edu with your request. Provide a quote for the purchase you are requesting.

Gateway and Flexcard are the preferred methods for the procurement and payment of most goods and services at UCSB. The reimbursement of UCSB  employees for purchases should be done on an exceptional basis only.  Avoid reimbursements and the liability you assume with the purchase; by sending your purchasing requests to education-purchasing@ucsb.edu.


You will need to provide original receipts, a signed A5. Domestic Travel worksheet or A6. Foreign Travel worksheet with PI approval to reimbursements@education.ucsb.edu.

*The A7. Mileage Log may be used for recurring trips, and should be submitted on a monthly basis. Please complete the A7. Mileage Log if you are only requesting to be reimbursed for mileage alone.

* Select travel expenses can be reimbursed to the payee prior to the travel trip taking place (must be at least 30 days in advance of trip). Please reference A3. Travel Advance worksheet and consult with a Research Administrator if you have any questions.

All documents listed above can be found on the GGSE Resources page under Expenses in section A. Travel Forms/Guides.

Effective October 15, 2017, Hotel rates are capped at $275 per night for trips within the lower 48 states, before taxes and other hotel fees. If you are in a higher cost city (like New York) and are unable to secure a room at or below $275, you must submit the A8. Lodging Limit Justification explaining why a rate under the cap could not be obtained and provide screen shots of price comparisons within the proximity of the meeting location.  The price comparison should be performed at the time of booking.

Lodging receipts should be itemized and include a breakdown of the nightly rate, taxes and fees.

*Package deals for lodging on discount travel sites such as Expedia and Orbitz do not provide the breakdown and are not allowable for reimbursement.

The A8. Lodging Limit Justification can be found on the GGSE Resources page int the Expenses section, under A. Travel Forms/Guides.

You may claim per diem in your travel reimbursement worksheet for international travel, not domestic. Per diem rates can be found on the GSA website, for Meals & Incidental Expenses (M&IE) and for Lodging (see bottom right corner of map for foreign rates).

*To claim the per diem rate on international travel, you do not need receipts.

You may not claim per diem for domestic travel per UC Policy: Meals and Incidental Expenses – Limit of $79 per day (effective September 9, 2022).

Travelers may only be reimbursed for actual incurred expenses and must provide original itemized receipts.

You may request an advance on any expenses that have been paid in full, such as registration and airfare, prior to the travel taking place. The Travel Advance Worksheet can be found on the GGSE Resources page.

Connexxus allows UC travelers to direct bill their account for airfare, and make hotel and car reservations with automatic travel insurance, some price protections, negotiated benefits with certain corporate partners et al. 

Follow up with reimbursements@education.ucsb.edu for department authorization codes (DBANs) and send them a completed A4. Request for Travel Approval worksheet found in section A. Travel Forms/Guides on GGSE Resources page.

Mileage Logs can be found on the GGSE Resources page.

Mileage logs are due on a monthly basis for each project from which you are requesting reimbursement. PI approval is required on the form. Once completed, paperwork should be sent to reimbursements@education.ucsb.edu.

*Current Mileage rate is $0.655 per mile.

Restricted Travel Law AB 1887 prohibits state-funded travel to the states below:

  • Alabama
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Mississippi
  • Montana
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • West Virginia

*For further information visit the Business and Financial Services' Restricted Travel Law page

Only those students that are non US citizens seeking a travel reimbursement must provide the declaration and a copy of proof of immigration.

Reimbursement paperwork should be sent to reimbursements@education.ucsb.edu.

Correspondence regarding reimbursement paperwork will come from reimbursements@education.ucsb.edu. Timely response to any questions from this address will help speed up reimbursements.

Please note:

What is requested on the event/travel/miscellaneous worksheet is what will be reimbursed. Please ensure all expenses that you are requesting to be reimbursed are on the worksheet.


If you know the role the student will be hired in, proceed to fill out either an Employment Request form or a Modify Existing Employment Request form (both found under Employment area on GGSE Resources page).

You can also find GSR and Student Assistant Hiring Policies and Guidelines under the Employment area.