The University of California, Santa Barbara is located on 989 acres of the California coast about 8 miles northwest of Santa Barbara and 90 miles north of Los Angeles.

To participate in CalTeach, you simply need to be interested in teaching -- either teaching at the elementary school level or teaching mathematics or science at the secondary school level. 

Please email CG.team@education.ucsb.edu with any questions or concerns. Please allow 24-48 hours for a response. You will receive an email from any of our Research Administrators or the Contracts and Grants Manager.

The Strategic Research Initiatives (SRI), is a unit within the Office of Research, that works with faculty to effectively secure extramural funding, from early career fellowships to large center grants. Their support services include:

  • Helping faculty find relevant funding opportunities for their research.
  • Working directly with faculty to support effective proposal writing and development.
  • Coordinating and facilitating research teams in their pursuit of large interdisciplinary funding opportunities.
  • Providing proposal-related training and professional development for faculty and postdoctoral researchers.
  • Working with campus departments and offices to streamline the proposal submission process.

The CCSP Department is currently not hosting information meetings, but we invite you to view the brief presentation, highlighting the application process.

SCWriP is real world social network of over 500 teacher-consultants brought together by a desire to improve the teaching of writing in all schools at all grade levels in all subject areas and disciplines. We are an affiliated site of the National Writing Project (NWP) and the California Writing Project (CWP).

All application materials, including official transcripts and official scores, must be uploaded using UCSB's Graduate Division online application. Learn more here

All materials must be received by the deadline. Due to the high volume of applications received near the deadline date, we strongly recommend that you apply early

You can use this interactive campus map to find our location; the Education Building (#275) is located on the corner of Ocean and El Colegio Roads. A directory is posted in the single elevator in the central tower of the building.

You can park in lot 27 across El Colegio Road from the Education Building. Parking fees and more information are also available online.

The Visitors’ Center home page has information about campus tours, driving to UCSB, a campus map, a virtual tour, a list of local hotels and motels, and the dates for special events. If you’d like to meet with one of the GGSE’s faculty members during your visit, you can contact the faculty member directly for an appointment.

In 2000 Ambassador Don L. and Mrs. Marilyn E. Gevirtz, longtime UC Santa Barbara supporters, made a $10 million commitment to support the excellence and visibility of the Graduate School of Education. To honor their generosity and dedication to promoting research and developing programs in education, the campus designated the School as The Gevirtz Graduate School of Education.

You may see a full list of programs and degrees in our Departments/Programs of Study chart.

You must apply for a specific degree or program and each process varies slightly. We provide a step-by-step guide for each:

If you have any questions prior to beginning an online application, please email the Student Affairs Office: sao@education.ucsb.edu

We are in the process of offering an undergraduate bachelor’s degree, but do not at this time.

We do offer three minors. See our Undergraduate Studies page for more information.

Our graduate student population ranges from 375 – 400 students annually.

For 2021-22:

  • 43 Senate Faculty Members
  • 11 Continuing Lecturers
  • 2 Researchers
  • 8 Academic Coordinators
  • 20 Lecturers
  • 11 Affiliated Faculty
  • 21 Emeriti Faculty

Approximately 90 teacher credentials, 110 Masters, and 40 Ph.D.s.

See the university-wide Registrar’s page for a summary of quarterly fees and expenses for all Graduate Division students.

The School has its roots in the Santa Barbara State Normal School of Manual Arts and Home Economics, which was officially established in 1909. That college became a University of California campus in 1944. The School of Education was founded as a separate unit in 1961, followed by conversion to graduate-level status in 1967. In 2006, the Counseling, Clinical and School Psychology Program was recognized as a full-fledged department. The new department had been in the Department of Education in the Gevirtz Graduate School since 1970.

The Department of Counseling, Clinical, and School Psychology (CCSP) is fully accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of the American Psychological Association as a combined psychology program. The Teacher Education Program is fully accredited by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing  (CTC). The School also undergoes regular academic program reviews conducted by UCSB’s Office of Budget and Planning. UCSB as a whole is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).

In addition to being posted on UC Santa Barbara’s main job board, all Gevirtz School openings for faculty, researchers, and staff are posted on our Employment page.

Gifts to the Gevirtz Graduate School of Education help support and improve the quality of our students, faculty, programs, and facilities. On our Giving Page you will learn how to donate online, by phone, and by mail.

The UCSB Office of International Students & Scholars(link is external) provides useful Information about the cost of attending UCSB, getting Visas, housing, financing your education in the US, etc. Please also note that International Students are required to take the TOEFL (link is external)or IELTS(link is external) test when applying to Graduate School at UCSB unless they have attended and can provide a transcript for a degree received (or anticipated in the current academic year) from an accredited college or university in the United States or other English speaking country.

Generally, admission decisions will be made beginning in early February and can last until the end of April. Applications are sent for admission consideration only when they are complete. It is to your benefit to complete your application as soon as possible.

No. Graduate Division does not allow deferments. If you are admitted but are unable to attend your admission quarter, you must reapply for admission. Readmission is not guaranteed.

In order to officially inform the GGSE that you wish to attend or not attend UCSB, you need to complete the Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) online. The SIR can be accessed through your online application. Please login to your electronic application and look for the (SIR). Once completed the GGSE will be able to view your decision to attend or not attend UCSB. For more information please consult your admit letter.

A GPA of 3.0 is required to be considered for admission, without an exception from the UCSB Graduate Division. However, we recommend that applicants to CCSP have a GPA of 3.5-3.7 or above.

Most students enter after having completed a B.A./B.S. degree with a major in psychology, but this is not a requirement. Regardless of undergraduate major, newly admitted students who have not taken introductory undergraduate or graduate courses in human development, psychological measurement, and statistics in the past five years are required to take graduate-level courses in these areas during their first year in the program. Taking these classes before applying would make someone a more competitive applicant.

Research experience, paid or unpaid work in clinical settings, as well as excellent letters of recommendation, and publications or presentations are important. These items would make an applicant more competitive. Our faculty admit students who have similar research interests. When applying to our program, it’s important that you review our faculty research and academic interests and note in your statement of purpose which faculty you’d like to work with, the area (counseling, clinical, or school) that best fits with your professional goals, and how your research interests align. Applicants applying to our program are admitted by the faculty according to their research interests (i.e., faculty with counseling as their specialty will bring in a student with counseling as their emphasis).

We suggest that you have strong letters of recommendation, GPA around 3.5-3.7 or above, and that your research and academic interests match up to one of our professors.  Research experience is positively looked upon as well as publications. 

If an applicant's file is complete by November 15, it will be reviewed and candidates will be selected for an interview. Those selected for an interview will be notified of a date and time. The purpose of the interview is to enable the admissions committee to secure direct information concerning the applicant's professional interests, motives for choosing this degree program, and related past experiences. If it is impossible for the applicant to come for an interview because of excessive distance, other methods will be arranged.

The writing sample is based on your research experience; either research on the job, a research project, or a class paper. There is no length limit, but should be substantial enough to show yourself to be competitive. Faculty are looking for strong writing skills and place more emphasis on the context of the paper than the content. Applicants are not exempt from submitting a writing sample if they do not have one that is related to research in some way. All applicants must submit a sample. Your application will not be reviewed without one.

Your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed until we have received all of your materials. This includes official transcripts and letters of recommendation. 

For more information on applying to a graduate program at UCSB, please visit http://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/admissions(link is external).

For more information on financial aid and options, please visit https://www.finaid.ucsb.edu/(link is external) or http://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/financial(link is external).

For further questions, you can reach out to our program staff via email at ccspoffice@education.ucsb.edu, or by phone at (805) 893-3375. 

The Clinic focuses on providing tutorial support and assessments for students in the first through eighth grade who are not benefitting sufficiently from instruction provided by their elementary schools.

Students may have been already identified as having a learning disability or may not have been identified but are perceived to be at risk for unacceptably poor achievement by their families.

The graduate education experience varies from student to student. Time to degree similarly varies based on the student's research project and type of degree sought. Most students take 8 to 12 units per quarter. The fees are the same no matter the number of units. It is not unusual for students to work part-time in addition to taking classes. The M.A. degree generally takes 2 to 3 years. The Ph.D. degree has a broader range, as the goal is for students to make original contributions to the research literature. Ph.D. students typically finish in 5 to 6 years.

Official transcripts should be sent directly to you. You will upload them as part of your online application.

Request official transcripts well in advance of the application deadline. Once you receive the official transcript envelope, unseal and open the envelope, then scan and upload the official transcript to your online application.

Upload transcripts from each institution that you have attended and where you have completed more than 12 units. 

The online application process allows us to expedite the review process. Mailed official transcripts are not allowed during the initial application process.

You may log back into the eApp portal using your username and password to check the status of your application. Please allow one to two weeks for your application and materials to be received.

It is to the applicant's advantage to apply early rather than close to the deadline. No application will be processed or reviewed until the application fee has been received.

No, the Gevirtz School does not require or accept GRE scores as part of the application process.

The information on our web pages is intended to serve as an advisory tool.  For more detailed questions regarding our various programs, prospective students should contact the Department of Education Program Assistants or Education Faculty.  Please see the following link for contact information:  Dept of ED Contact.  Applicants are encouraged to review the Faculty Bios for faculty who most closely align with their interests and could serve as their Advisor should they be admitted.

Enroll in one of our courses or contact Karin Lohwasser.

To begin the CalTeach program, you typically start with a CaT 1 (ED 128 or ED 129) or a CaT 2 (Ed 130 or ED 131) course. These courses serve as introductions to mathematics or science education and include a field placement at a local school. You can take one or several of these courses. They can be taken in any order.

If you enjoy these courses, you may want to consider pursuing the Minor in Science and Mathematics Education.

Yes, you are welcome to enroll in the introductory courses, CaT 1 or CaT 2, to learn more about science and mathematics education and explore the idea of a teaching career.

You will need to complete a teacher credential program in order to get a teaching credential. There are many different options available, including the Teacher Education Program here at UCSB. 

YES. California and other states across the country have shortages of credentialed teachers, particularly teachers of science and mathematics in grades 7-12. Many of California's teachers are expected to retire in the next decade. As a result, newly credentialed science and mathematics teachers are sought after by districts across California.

Salaries vary between school districts and generally are based on experience and college or professional development units completed beyond the bachelor's degree. Some districts pay bonuses for advanced degrees or extra duty. 2020-21 National Education Association figures show the average starting salary for a teacher in California was $51,600.

Dr. Karin Lohwasser at loh2o@ucsb.edu or Dr. Julie Bianchini at julie.bianchini@ucsb.edu

The CalTeach students are not enrolled in a graduate teacher education program. While they have expressed an interest in teaching, they have not necessarily made a commitment to pursue a teaching career. They will spend approximately 2 hours per week in your room observing your classroom practice, working with individuals or small groups of students, and possibly leading an activity or portion of a lesson.

Because of the popularity of our program, there may be a need to place more than one CalTeach student in a classroom. If this would be helpful for you and your students, please contact Katie Blackwell at kblackwell@ucsb.edu.

The Department of Education in the Gevirtz Graduate School of Education offers an intellectually rich environment in which graduate students are encouraged to pursue a program of study tailored to their research interests. All broad Program Areas are characterized by a high degree of collaboration and mentorship. Through experience in graduate courses, research experiences, and teaching, students have multiple opportunities to acquire knowledge, dispositions, and skills to be first-rate scholars and teachers. Both M.A. and Ph.D. degrees are available in our three Program Areas.

There are approximately 150 students enrolled in the Department of Education. Although there are variations year to year, the Department of Education typically admits 20 to 30 new students each year. 

Most students take 8 to 12 units per quarter. The fees are the same no matter the number of units. It is not unusual for students to work part-time in addition to taking classes. The graduate education experience varies from student to student. Time to degree similarly varies based on the student's research project and type of degree sought. The M.A. degree generally takes 2 to 3 years. The Ph.D. degree has a broader range, as the goal is for students to make original contributions to the research literature. Ph.D. students typically finish in 5 to 6 years.

The information on our web pages is intended to serve as an advisory tool. For more detailed questions regarding our various programs, prospective students should contact the Department of Education Program Assistants or Education Faculty. Please see the ED Contacts at the bottom of the Department overview page.  Applicants are encouraged to review the Faculty Bios for faculty who most closely align with their interests and could serve as their Advisor should they be admitted.

The primary application deadline for Ph.D. and MA degrees: December 1st. Admission is for fall quarter of the following year only.

Secondary consideration and final deadline for fall 2023 MA only students is May 16, 2023.

No, we do not accept conditional admits.

Generally, faculty in the Department of Education are interested in admitting students of the highest quality, with relevant experience, and with research interests that can be served by the graduate program.

Not at this time, however, you are encouraged to periodically review our website for department recruitment event announcements.

The Visitor's Center home page has information about campus tours, a virtual tour, a list of local hotels and motels, and dates for special events, such as Parents' Weekend, Spring Insight, and Fall Preview. If you would like to meet with one of the Department of Education Faculty members during your visit here, you can contact the faculty member directly via email for an appointment. You may also contact the Program Office if you would like a tour of the Education Building and/or have general questions.

The Gevirtz Graduate School of Education does not offer any online degree programs.

We initially modeled our practices after the Bay Area Writing Project, so we followed their naming conventions.

“South Coast” refers to the southern facing beaches of our part of California. Though based as the University of California Santa Barbara, we serve schools, teachers, and students throughout three counties, Santa Barbara, Ventura, and San Luis Obispo (we also reach inland to Kern County whenever we can).

And since our project is to improve instruction in writing for everyone, we combined the name of our region with our work.

Some people call us “South Coast,” but we mostly say “SCWriP.”

Well, we wanted to be able to say it, so we took our full name, the South Coast Writing Project, and left parts out, SCWriP. The result is pronounced “scrip.” The W is silent and there is no “t” sound at the end.

We pay you! Applicants selected to attend receive a small fellowship to offset costs incurred during the month. We are able to do this thanks to grants we receive from federal, state, and private sources.

Yes, and it's explained on the Professional Development page.

Please email us at readingclinic@education.ucsb.edu OR you may call 805-893-7905 to discuss your child’s situation and to make an appointment for an assessment.

General Hours of Operation:

Monday - Thursday,  3:30-5:15 pm

It will operate for the entirety of the 2022-2023 academic year, except quarter breaks and the following dates:

  • Thursday & Friday, November 24-25 (Thanksgiving)
  • Monday, January 16 (Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day)
  • Monday, February 20 (Presidents’ Day)
  • Monday, May 29 (Memorial Day)

Days that the Clinic is closed will not count toward the cost of the program. 

Supervised graduate students and professional teachers associated with the Gevirtz Graduate School of Education provide the tutoring.

Students are tutored for 45 minutes two - four times a week during the school year for periods of 10 weeks with appointment times corresponding to the end of the school day.

Each student will receive feedback at the end of each tutoring session and his/her progress will be communicated to parents on a weekly basis.

A formal post assessment and report of a student’s specific gains will be provided at the end of the tutoring period, including recommendations for further support, if necessary.

Our rates: 

  • Instructional sessions: $28.60 per hour
  • Reading Assessment & Report: $135.80
    • $50.00 per student for reading assessment 
    • $85.8 for creating a report (3 hours of instructional time)  

Parents interested in having their children receive literacy support are welcome to respond to this initial intake survey / Haga clic aqui para registrarse a sesiones de tutoria to start the registration process.

  • Call to schedule an Intake appointment (lasts 2 – 3 hours)
  • Come into the center for the Intake
  • Begin meeting with your counselor or be referred to a community agency

You will get to see the Hosford Clinic, meet the clinician, and complete the necessary paperwork.

Sessions last 50 minutes each.

How many sessions a person has varies based on individual need. What is important to know is that throughout therapy, your counselor will discuss a treatment plan with you so that your concerns can be addressed and monitored.

  • You will get a weekly appointment time with your therapist
  • You will have a chance to tell your therapist more about your life and your concerns
  • You will work with your therapist to identify goals for counseling/psychotherapy
  • You will work with your therapist on accomplishing your goal
  • By listening and providing support as you make decisions and try new behaviors
  • By asking questions that help you see your problem in new ways, which will help you generate solutions to your difficulties
  • By helping you to see your strengths and the strengths of those around you
  • By helping you access resources in your family, social circle, and community
  • By teaching you effective ways to deal with life’s greatest challenges, like addictions, mental illness, victimization, interpersonal conflict, parenting, bereavement, divorce, job loss, failing grades, loneliness, depression, school pressure, and job stress
  • By working with you to foster positive changes in your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors
  • By coaching you in ways to improve your interpersonal relationships
  • By providing a safe space for you to talk privately about your worries and concerns.

The Gevirtz Research Office is a unit within the Gevirtz Graduate School of Education. The Research office supports the faculty, researchers, and students in all Gevirtz Graduate School of Education programs and departments in the following areas: research development, human subjects, proposal preparation, and contracts & grants administration.

The UCSB Office of Research (OR) helps members of the university community secure support for their research and creative activities. OR works with all of the academic units on campus to develop the best research programs possible and is charged with ensuring the integrity of UCSB research and providing assurance to governmental and private funding agencies and to the public that the research is conducted in accordance with the highest ethical standards.

Numerous resources are available at the campus-wide Office of Research.

In addition the Gevirtz Research Office circulates notices of funding opportunities via our listserv. You can also view our Funding Opportunities page for additional listservs and other sources.

The Gevirtz Research Office will send out funding announcements that may be of interest to the GGSE faculty, send out the Office of Research newsletter, and can assist in using COS Pivot. COS Pivot allows users to search thousands of funding opportunities by keywords, dates, award type, etc. Create an account and you can save searches to run as often as you like to find new opportunities meeting your search criteria.

COS Pivot is an online database of over 400,000 individual funding opportunities and 3 million researcher profiles in the social sciences, humanities, fine arts, sciences, and engineering. Subscribers can choose to receive a weekly e-mail with a customized list of funding opportunities based on previously specified criteria.

To access Pivot, you must register using your UCSB email address.

Review and approval by the HSC (Human Subjects Committee) is required before starting research involving human subjects.

Any UCSB faculty, staff or student doing research that involves Human Subjects must have either Human Subjects approval, or an exemption, for the research results to be published in any form including theses and dissertations. This includes pilot studies (even if it involves just one subject), funded or unfunded research, and research on yourself, your staff, your students, or your friends. "Human Subject" means a living individual about whom an investigator (whether professional or student) conducting research obtains: (a) data through intervention or interaction with the individual or (b) identifiable private information.

Please see our Human Subjects page for further information.

Requests to use human subjects in your research are made using a web-based application module (Office of Research Application for the use of Human Subjects; ORahs. Online tutorials are available.

When the investigator or faculty advisor clicks on “Submit to HSC,” another box on a separate page will appear indicating that the investigator or faculty advisor will agree to the terms.  Clicking on the “Submit to HSC” button will serve as the electronic signature for the protocol application in lieu of submitting the hard copy Signature Page to the HSC. 

Protocols will not be approved until all investigators have completed the HS training module. See http://hstraining.orda.ucsb.edu/faqs.htm for further information.

See the list of deadlines at https://orahs.research.ucsb.edu. Once you submit your protocol online, you will be notified via email regarding your protocol's scheduled review date.

Once you submit your protocol online, you will receive email notifications updating you on the status of your protocol. If corrections are necessary, your protocol will be placed into your Corrections queue within the ORahs system to edit and resubmit.

Once your protocol has been reviewed and approved, you will received an email of the approval. You can access the approved consent forms and approval in the ORahs system. At any time, you can log into the ORahs system to check on the status of your protocol.

Once a (SPOOF) is submitted, your proposal will be assigned to any of our three Research Administrators or the Contracts and Grants Manager.

There are times when a sponsor or specific solicitation may request or require a pre-proposal, white paper or letter of intent (LOI). The specific requirements are usually outlined in the proposal guidelines.

*A pre-proposal may be used by the sponsor to determine who will be invited to submit a full proposal or may be used to provide feedback to the PI for the purposes of refining the project for the full proposal submission.

A pre-proposal will typically require a brief summary of the project and information about the PI and research team. Occasionally additional items are required.

If any one or more of the following are required or included in the pre-proposal, the pre-proposal must be routed through campus for review.

  • A detailed budget
  • Costshare commitments
  • Institutional endorsement (including submission through electronic systems)

Please remember to complete the Sponsored Project Online Opportunity Form (SPOOF) at least 30 days prior to the proposal submission due date. Completion of this form is required to initiate the proposal support process.

If you have doubts as to whether your project should be run through the Research Office, run it by a Research Administrator as early as possible.

Ladder faculty and professional researchers employed by UCSB with at least a 50% appointment are automatically eligible to serve as a PI on an award.

Here is a chart that can clarify more specific situations.

*If you do not meet these criteria, please contact a Research Administrator to inquire about a possible exception to serve as a PI or Co-PI.

Once we are aware that you will be submitting a proposal, we provide you with a timeline specific to your proposal. The UCSB Office of Research (OR) requires that we, as the administering department, submit a complete packet of the proposal to them a minimum of seven (7) full business days prior to the sponsor’s deadline, at which point a draft of all proposal documents should be included. The budget and budget justification should be in final form. For more details, please visit our Proposal Preparation page.

The Gevirtz Research Office receives notifications for all awards processed through UCSB's Office of Research and Business and Financial Services. A Research Administrator will follow up with the PI(s) once our office receives an award notification for their proposal.

For proposals that did not go through the Office of Research - Sponsored Projects, please notify CG.team@education.ucsb.edu immediately to ensure awards are processed in a timely manner. 

If you receive an award notification directly from the sponsor, please notify CG.team@education.ucsb.edu immediately so that we can begin working with the UCSB Office of Research (OR) to process the award.

Only OR can officially accept an award on behalf of the university; thus, they must work with the sponsor to review the terms and conditions of the award and accept it. Once the award has been accepted by OR, it will be sent to UCSB Extramural Funds Accounting so that an account-fund string can be established. Once the account has been set up, the Gevirtz Research Office and the PI will be notified and the PI will have access to the funds. The entire process typically takes a few weeks, but may take longer if negotiations of the terms and conditions of the award are necessary.

*Please Note: You cannot have anyone work, or spend funds on the project until you have received notice that an account number has been established by UCSB. Individuals are not able to be paid for any work completed before they have been hired.*

Whether you're in the conceptual stages, and/or in conversation with a potential donor, please reference the "Research Funded Through Gifts" document.

After the account has been set up, the PI should advise a Research Administrator that they are ready to set up subawards. This process typically takes a few weeks. If the subaward or agreement was not included in the proposal budget, re-budgeting may be necessary. Please contact a Research Administrator or Contracts & Grants Manager to discuss options.

Please reference the "Project Closure or Extension" worksheet. If you have additional questions, feel free to chat with any of the Research Administrators.

*Make sure to give yourself plenty of time as some sponsors may require at least 60 days notice.

You will need to provide original receipts, and a completed and signed B1. Miscellaneous Expense Worksheet, including PI approval. You can find this form on the GGSE Resources page, under section B. Reimbursement Forms/Guides.

If you are submitting an entertainment expense (e.g. refreshments, snacks, and catering), provide the B3. Event Expense Worksheet. Include a list of participants (if applicable) and appropriate host signature and PI approvals.

It should be submitted within 2 weeks of event date. All other expenses should be submitted in a timely manner.

All forms for reimbursement can be found on the GGSE Resources page. If you have any questions about which forms you will need to submit, please contact reimbursements@education.ucsb.edu for assistance. 

Correspondence regarding reimbursement paperwork will now come from reimbursements@education.ucsb.edu. Timely responses to any questions from this address will help speed up reimbursements.

Contact education-purchasing@ucsb.edu with your request. Provide a quote for the purchase you are requesting.

Gateway and Flexcard are the preferred methods for the procurement and payment of most goods and services at UCSB. The reimbursement of UCSB  employees for purchases should be done on an exceptional basis only.  Avoid reimbursements and the liability you assume with the purchase; by sending your purchasing requests to education-purchasing@ucsb.edu.

You will need to provide original receipts, a signed A5. Domestic Travel worksheet or A6. Foreign Travel worksheet with PI approval to reimbursements@education.ucsb.edu.

*The A7. Mileage Log may be used for recurring trips, and should be submitted on a monthly basis. Please complete the A7. Mileage Log if you are only requesting to be reimbursed for mileage alone.

* Select travel expenses can be reimbursed to the payee prior to the travel trip taking place (must be at least 30 days in advance of trip). Please reference A3. Travel Advance worksheet and consult with a Research Administrator if you have any questions.

All documents listed above can be found on the GGSE Resources page under Expenses in section A. Travel Forms/Guides.

Effective October 15, 2017, Hotel rates are capped at $275 per night for trips within the lower 48 states, before taxes and other hotel fees. If you are in a higher cost city (like New York) and are unable to secure a room at or below $275, you must submit the A8. Lodging Limit Justification explaining why a rate under the cap could not be obtained and provide screen shots of price comparisons within the proximity of the meeting location.  The price comparison should be performed at the time of booking.

Lodging receipts should be itemized and include a breakdown of the nightly rate, taxes and fees.

*Package deals for lodging on discount travel sites such as Expedia and Orbitz do not provide the breakdown and are not allowable for reimbursement.

The A8. Lodging Limit Justification can be found on the GGSE Resources page int the Expenses section, under A. Travel Forms/Guides.

You may claim per diem in your travel reimbursement worksheet for international travel, not domestic. Per diem rates can be found on the GSA website, for Meals & Incidental Expenses (M&IE) and for Lodging (see bottom right corner of map for foreign rates).

*To claim the per diem rate on international travel, you do not need receipts.

You may not claim per diem for domestic travel per UC Policy: Meals and Incidental Expenses – Limit of $79 per day (effective September 9, 2022).

Travelers may only be reimbursed for actual incurred expenses and must provide original itemized receipts.

You may request an advance on any expenses that have been paid in full, such as registration and airfare, prior to the travel taking place. The Travel Advance Worksheet can be found on the GGSE Resources page.

Connexxus allows UC travelers to direct bill their account for airfare, and make hotel and car reservations with automatic travel insurance, some price protections, negotiated benefits with certain corporate partners et al. 

Follow up with reimbursements@education.ucsb.edu for department authorization codes (DBANs) and send them a completed A4. Request for Travel Approval worksheet found in section A. Travel Forms/Guides on GGSE Resources page.

Mileage Logs can be found on the GGSE Resources page.

Mileage logs are due on a monthly basis for each project from which you are requesting reimbursement. PI approval is required on the form. Once completed, paperwork should be sent to reimbursements@education.ucsb.edu.

*Current Mileage rate is $0.655 per mile.

Restricted Travel Law AB 1887 prohibits state-funded travel to the states below:

  • Alabama
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Mississippi
  • Montana
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • West Virginia

*For further information visit the Business and Financial Services' Restricted Travel Law page

Only those students that are non US citizens seeking a travel reimbursement must provide the declaration and a copy of proof of immigration.

Reimbursement paperwork should be sent to reimbursements@education.ucsb.edu.

Correspondence regarding reimbursement paperwork will come from reimbursements@education.ucsb.edu. Timely response to any questions from this address will help speed up reimbursements.

Please note:

What is requested on the event/travel/miscellaneous worksheet is what will be reimbursed. Please ensure all expenses that you are requesting to be reimbursed are on the worksheet.

If you know the role the student will be hired in, proceed to fill out either an Employment Request form or a Modify Existing Employment Request form (both found under Employment area on GGSE Resources page).

You can also find GSR and Student Assistant Hiring Policies and Guidelines under the Employment area.