2023-2024 Requirements (20 Units Required)
Core Courses (Two courses required):
- CNCSP 101 Introduction to Helping Skills: Theory, Research and Practice (4 Units)
- CNCSP 102 Research in Applied Psychology (4 Units)
Elective Courses (Fill remaining units with elective courses):
- CNCSP 104 Innovations in Health Equity Research: Participatory Action with Communities (4 units)
- CNCSP 110 Intro to Educational & Vocational Guidance (4 units)
- CNCSP 111 Identity and Pluralism (4 units)
- CNCSP 112 Positive Psychology (4 units)
- CNCSP 114 Psych of Gender (4 units)
- CNCSP W 116 Bisexuality: From Margin to Center (4 units)
- CNCSP 117 School-Based Mental Health (4 units)
- CNCSP 118 The Psychology of Flourishing (4 units)
- CNCSP 122 Disaster Mental Health
- CNCSP 132 Spanish in the Helping Professions: Research and Practice (taught in Spanish)
- CNCSP 197*, 199** or 199RA**
- ED 111 Intro to Child and Adolescent Development (4 units)***
- ED 125 Schooling in the U.S. [Particularly appropriate for those interested in school counseling/psychology]***
- ED 190 Intro to Autism (Pre-req: Psych 1, minimum 3.0 GPA) (4 units)***
- ED 199**** or 199RA****
*Students may apply a maximum of 8 units of CNCSP 197 toward the elective requirement, however, the two 4-unit CNCSP 197 courses must be on different topics taught by different instructors and not merely a repetition of the same 197 course by the same instructor.
**Students may apply only 4 units of 199 or 199RA toward the elective requirement. 199/199RA units must be taken for a Letter Grade to be considered.
***Both seniors and juniors enrolled in the Applied Psych minor must wait until Pass 2 to enroll in ED courses. ED W 125 is the online version of ED 125.
****Students must complete the ED 199/199RA-specific form to verify the independent study/research is relevant to the minor. There is a maximum of 4 units that can be applied to the student's minor and they must be taken for a Letter Grade to be considered.
If you have concerns about completing your elective units, please email firstname.lastname@example.org(link sends e-mail)
Students are encouraged to enroll in classes early and/or to consider completing some courses in Summer Session as space is limited. There is a high possibility that you will not be able to complete the courses due to popularity and space availability.